Version 8.35 (October 2016)
- Support for Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
- Improved Console performance.
- Enhancements to prevent longer system startup on Advanced Format (AF) 4k sector hard drives (up to 2X faster boot time).
- Allow fully qualified Proxy Server Name in Deep Freeze console settings.
- Windows Update Enhancements
- To address changes in the way Anniversary Update handles automatic Windows updates, Deep Freeze will take extra measures to ensure that the Windows updates will not be triggered outside of the scheduled Windows Update Task on Windows 10 machines. This is achieved by disabling the Windows update service.
Version 8.32.220. 5109 (May 02, 2016)
- Configure Proxy Server Connection – If you are using a proxy server to connect to the Internet, you can now specify the credentials in Deep Freeze Console. Configuring the proxy server in the Deep Freeze Console ensures that Check for Updates, Announcements and Licence Activation features work. The Deep Freeze workstation also connects to the Internet for License Activation via the Proxy Server if it is configured in the operating system.
- Secure LDAP support – If you are importing groups from Active Directory, you can now use the Deep Freeze Console to retrieve groups from your Secure LDAP setup. Microsoft KB.
Version 8.30 (September 2015)
- Support for Windows 10 (Deep Freeze Administrator and Deep Freeze Console)
- Configuration Generator – automatically generate multiple Deep Freeze Installation files (.exe) and Deep Freeze Configuration files (.rdx) using a CSV file (sample file provided). The Configuration Generator can be launched from Deep Freeze Administrator, Deep Freeze Console or from the Command Line.
Version 8.23 (June 2015)
Delay Frozen Reboot to complete Windows updates
A new option is available in Configuration Administrator (Advanced Option tab) that allows you to delay rebooting the computer into a Frozen state if configuration or installation for Windows updates are pending. This option is selected by default.
Version 8.20 (November 2014)
New Features and Enhancements
- New Modern Look – view the Enterprise Console in a cooler, more modern look. Navigate to View > Modern Look in the top toolbar.
- Dynamically Filtered Groups – In addition to filtering by Workstation Name, filter with 10 more options like Version, Status, Login Name etc. Advanced users can even use regular expressions.
- Remote Launch – run existing applications on selected workstations using your Enterprise Console. Applications will run in the background (using a system account without user interaction). Optionally include command line parameters.
- Push and Launch – send and run applications on selected workstations using your Enterprise Console. Send up to a 50MB file (.exe or .msi) to workstations. Optionally include command line parameters.
- Format ThawSpace – format ThawSpace(s) on selected workstations with just one click from the Enterprise Console.
- View Select Columns – hide unwanted columns. Navigate to View > Columns in the top toolbar.
- Select by Status – the console summary at the bottom left of the Enterprise Console is now clickable. Clicking each status will appropriately select workstations with that status in the current view.
- Maintenance Countdown Timer – a countdown is displayed to the end-user prior to a Workstation Task if Show Message is selected in the settings.
- Change Frozen Drive State – update the Frozen Drive settings in the Deep Freeze configuration without requiring a reinstallation. Changes will take effect at next reboot.
- Touchscreen Hotkey – access the client interface by clicking CTRL-SHIFT-6 or press and hold the Deep Freeze icon in the system tray.
- Hidden ThawSpace Enhancements – for users using GPOs to hide their drives, select « Honor Group Policy settings for Hidden Drives » under the Drives tab to ensure the ThawSpaces (and other drives) are hidden as expected.
- Scheduler Enhancements – can now edit existing scheduled tasks and remove workstations from a scheduled task.
- More Command Line Options – 3 new commands added:
– /thawed will automatically reboot into a Thawed State after installation
– /endtaskwill forcibly cancel any ongoing Deep Freeze Tasks on the computer
– set /clonewill set the Clone Flag for imaging purposes.
- New System Tray Icon – look out for a bigger/clearer white bear in the system tray.
- Console Log Improvements – enhancements include:
– Log when a computer goes Offline
– Log more console commands like Run Windows Update and Format ThawSpace
– Export the log file to a .TXT and .CSV file formats
– Save logs for 7 days instead of 2 days
– Rearrangeable and resizable columns.
- Announcements – new announcement bugel will appear in Enterprise Console to display Faronics alerts or notifications.
Version 8.12 (July 2014)
Deep Freeze Cloud Connector – Current customers will see a new cloud button in the Enterprise Console toolbar once a registered license key is entered. Click this button to connect your console to deepfreeze.com. Deep Freeze Cloud Connector is a web-based, add-on subscription service for Deep Freeze Server Enterprise customers to evaluate and purchase. Learn More.
Version 8.11 (June 2014)
- Login Name Column – A new column showing the logged in user is now available in Deep Freeze Console.
- Gracefully End Windows Update Task – Windows Update Tasks will now end more gracefully when executed from Deep Freeze Console. Any ongoing installation (of Service Pack or other files) will be finalized before the task will end. Any further installations will be aborted.
Version 8.10 (March 2014)
- Support for Windows 8.1
- Upgrade During Installation
- Automatically upgrade the Enterprise Console, Configuration Administrator, and Deep Freeze install/configuration files (under the Install Programs folder) during installation.
- Support for Brazilian Portuguese
Version 7.71 (October 2013)
- Deep Freeze notification messages are now displayed on all active user sessions on Remote Desktop Server (Windows Terminal Server) and Windows Multipoint Server. This feature is not supported on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Multipoint Server 2012.
Version 7.70 (July 2013)
New Features and Enhancements
- Manage Faronics-Anti-Virus from Deep Freeze Console
Enable Faronics Anti-Virus inside the console by clicking on Evaluate Faronics Anti-Virus or enter the appropriate license key. Faronics Anti-Virus includes:
– Deploy to any workstations with the Deep Freeze seed or client.
– Update configurations and virus definitions when Deep Freeze is in a Frozen state.
– Intrusion Detection & HIPS (Host-Based Intrusion Prevention System).
– Embedded Firewall, Web Filtering & Email protection.
– Schedule Quick Scan, Deep Scan, and Enable/Disable Active Protection.
- Manage Deep Freeze Configuration from Deep Freeze Console
Create and apply new Deep Freeze and Antivirus configurations from the Deep Freeze Console without using the Configuration Administrator.
- Automatically Apply Configuration Changes
Configuration changes are automatically applied to appropriate workstations.
- New Deep Freeze Configuration Column
View which Deep Freeze configuration or RDX file was last applied to each workstation.
- Last Configuration Update Column
New Last Configuration Update column displays when the last workstation configuration update was made.
- Schedule Windows Updates from Deep Freeze Console
Schedule Windows updates from the Scheduled Task Wizard in the Deep Freeze Console. Windows updates will be performed on the selected workstation(s) based on settings provided under the Windows Update tab in Deep Freeze configuration.
- New Operating System Column
View operating system of each workstation.
- Detect Touch Screen Activity
Detect touch screen activity to ensure Idle Time restart/shutdown countdown does not begin if a user is actively using the computer.
- Lock Touch Screen Activity
Lock touch screen activity when “lock keyboard and mouse” option is selected from the console or during a maintenance period.
- Larger Windows Update Cache
The Windows Update cache allocated by Deep Freeze has been changed from 2GB to 4GB to compensate for the larger Windows 8 updates.
Version 7.60 (December 2012)
- Servers are supported on Windows Server 2012
- Enterprise Console is supported on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 Start Screen Enhancements
- Display Deep Freeze notifications for shutdown, restart, maintenance etc. on top of Start Screen. Display Deep Freeze Administrator and Enterprise Console tiles.
- Support for Windows To Go
- Deep Freeze can be installed on Windows To Go to boot and run from mass storage devices such as USB flash drives and external hard disk drives.
- Disable System Refresh and Reset
- Disable Windows 2012 System Refresh and Reset when Frozen. Learn more about the difference between Deep Freeze and Microsoft System Refresh and Reset.
- Support for BitLocker “Used Disk Space” Encryption
- Deep Freeze is compatible with “Used Disk Space Only” encryption in BitLocker on Windows 2012. Learn more.
- License Key Activation
- This version will include the ability to activate the license key. Activation is simple and painless and does not require the user to input any personal or authentication information. Learn more.
Version 7.51.270.4170 (September 2012)
- On-demand Windows Update from Console
Select workstation(s) in Deep Freeze Console and choose to Run Windows Update. Windows updates will be performed on the selected workstation(s) based on settings provided under the Windows Update tab in Configuration Administrator.
- Windows Update Command Line Control
Use « DFC password /WU » syntax to download and install Windows updates locally on the workstation. Optionally, enable keyboard and mouse [/UNLOCK], suppress warning message [/NOMSG], and return the machine to Thawed State after completing Windows Update [/THAW].
- Windows Update option in Console Customizer
Create customized console that provides the ability to enable or disable the ability to Run Windows Update. The Console Customizer can be launched from Tools > Console Customizer in the Deep Freeze Console.
Version 7.50 (July 2012)
- Cache Windows Update
Windows Updates can now be cached on the workstation even when it is in a Frozen state. Updates will be applied when the computer is in Thawed state. Experience significantly faster execution of Windows Update Task because updates are already downloaded. Learn more.
- Detect when Windows Updates are finished and automatically end the Windows Update Task. Setting an end time for Windows Update Task is now optional.
- Protect Master Boot Record (MBR)
Deep Freeze prevents a virus from injecting into MBR.
- Support for Hard Drives larger than 2 TB
- WSUS Restrictions Removed
All updates downloaded from your WSUS will now be installed on the workstation. The previous limitation of only downloading and applying critical and security updates is now limited to updates downloaded directly from the Microsoft Update Website.
- Port Exceptions for Deep Freeze Enterprise Console
Communication ports for Deep Freeze no longer need to be manually configured.
- New and improved Deep Freeze Workstation and Console Service with Logging
Enables our Tech Support to help with any corner cases.
- New and improved User Interface for the Deep Freeze Configuration Administrator
Usability improvements for Workstation Tasks (Maintenance Schedule). Dedicated Windows Update User Interface.
- New and improved Graphics for the Deep Freeze Enterprise Console
- User guides are linked online, reducing the size of the installer by half
- New Utility – Deep Freeze MSI Packager
This utility is included in your download and allows you to convert the Deep Freeze Workstation Install Program (DFWks.exe) executable file into a Windows Installer (.MSI) file format.
Version 7.3 (March 2012)
Deep Freeze Enterprise
• Improved Deep Freeze performance on RAID controllers.
• Improved Deep Freeze functionality with Anti-Executable. Anti-Executable will not disrupt Deep Freeze actions.
• License key expiry notification displayed (on the console computer).
Deep Freeze Loadin
• Improvements in Deep Freeze Client. Deep Freeze Client reports to Faronics Core faster.
• Customization Code in Deep Freeze Loadin increased to 255 characters.
• Improvements in Deep Freeze WMI Classes to ensure uninterrupted communication with Faronics Core.
• Deep Freeze Loadin actions are now synchronous. Workstation tasks are fully completed before reporting as “successful” to Faronics Core.
• Deep Freeze Loadin tasks now conform to the Faronics Core task behaviour criteria. The task returns as “successful” if the workstation is already in the desired state.
• Action Behaviors in Faronics Core provides “Reboot Thawed and Locked” to specify default task behavior.
• Multiple Deep Freeze tasks can now be queued via Faronics Core.
• Improved error messages when Deep Freeze Loadin tasks fail.
• The Deep Freeze installer file cached at the Core Server is removed once the install/upgrade task is performed and removed from History.
• Improved Deep Freeze performance related to Terminal Services and Roaming Profiles.
• Management of Secure Channel Passwords:
Deep Freeze changes the value of the Group Policy Maximum machine account password age based on the Deep Freeze state (Frozen or Thawed).
• Lock Keyboard and Mouse in Deep Freeze Loadin:
Lock keyboard and mouse and Boot Thawed and Locked are now available in Deep Freeze Loadin.
• License Management in Deep Freeze Loadin:
Deep Freeze Enterprise and Deep Freeze Server Enterprise Licensing can now be managed via Deep Freeze Loadin.
• Compatible with the Deep Freeze Loadin for Faronics Core.
• Compatible with Faronics Anti-Virus.
• Enhanced security.
• Compatible with the forthcoming Deep Freeze Loadin for Faronics Core. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Officially supported on Windows Server 2008 R2.
• Maintenance Mode is now compatible with the Enable Deep Freeze Maintenance Mode Compatibility feature of Faronics Anti-Executable v3.4 (or later).
Deep Freeze now employs the same licensing scheme as other Faronics products. Therefore, a valid License Key must be entered into the product in order to prevent it from expiring after a 30-day evaluation period.
• Wake-on-LAN (WOL) across subnets:
WOL can now be used across subnets on non-class C networks.
• New Embedded Events Scheduler:
The Embedded Events Scheduler now combines all possible Embedded Events onto a single configuration tab and allows for multiple events to be scheduled on a single day.
• Customizable warning messages:
Customizable warning messages can now be displayed at the workstation prior to Maintenance, Restart, Shutdown, or Idle Time events and a separate customized message can be displayed during a Maintenance event.
• Event override option:
Users can optionally be allowed to cancel any Embedded Event (Maintenance, Restart, Shutdown, or Idle Time) prior to execution from the workstation.
• Windows Updates that are applied via Deep Freeze are now logged to a log file.
• Multiple ThawSpaces (up to eight) can be created.
• ThawSpace(s) can individually be specified as Visible or Hidden.
• Integrated Console Customizer:
Customized copies of the Enterprise Console with limited features can be created for distribution in your organization.
• Connect via Remote Desktop Connection (RDC):
Administrators can take control of a remote computer through the Deep Freeze Enterprise Console via Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Protocol. RDC enables easy access, configuration, and control abilities on any networked computer.
• Remote Execute:
Remotely execute an executable file on a computer. Administrators do not have to visit each workstation to install a program, and reliance on third party management solutions is reduced.
• Push and Install MSI:
Push and install a .msi file on a computer. This allows administrators to use the Enterprise Console to install applications rather than scripting, GPOs, or using third party tools.
• Integrated Action Files:
Action Files call an external program or script through the Enterprise Console to reduce the need for third party tools. Administrators can use any scripting language that can be called through command line.
• Visual indication of selected Remote Console.
• Simplified Chinese localization added.
Improved / Changed Features
• Rewritten and expanded user guide.
• Embedded Maintenance events now take priority over embedded restart/shutdown events if both have been scheduled as overlapping events.
• The Deep Freeze Windows Updates setting no longer modifies pre-existing registry keys.
• The ThawSpace file format can no longer be specified—NTFS format is used in all cases.
• Rewritten password security functionality to resolve a reported potential security vulnerability in which a malicious user may be able to bypass the Deep Freeze password dialog when running as a Windows administrator user.
• Windows Server 2008 support
• Deep Freeze Console Customizer compatibility; Enterprise Consoles can now be customized with limited features using the separate Console Customizer utility
• User Defined Groups can now be imported from a Novell LDAP server
• Workstations can now be dragged from User Defined Groups, network list, or history to schedule a task directly in the network and groups panel
• Deep Freeze Action Files capability; XML Action Files can be used to extend the Console’s functionality without upgrading the Console
• Ability to execute a scheduled task immediately
• Ability to schedule a Send Message task
• Flexible scheduling options (same as Windows scheduler)
• Ability to run schedules when the Console is closed
• Restart on Logoff option
• Enhanced Novell compatibility; Run batch file with feature compatible with Novell environments
• Console provides the user with the ability to select the order in which columns will be displayed
• Console shows the name of the Deep Freeze configuration file used to install Deep Freeze on each client in a column
• Console provides an option to clear all history
• Console contents can be exported to CSV
• Console shows clients available for WOL
• SSM integrated into Console. Allows multiple ports and ability for Console to “run” as a service when it is closed.
• OTP Token Generator is accessible from within the Console
• Improved Active Directory import; individual groups can now be imported
• Ability to lock keyboard and mouse on demand
• Ability to override ongoing maintenance periods
• DFC included in workstation/Seed installs
• DFC commands are now verbose
• DFC.EXE syntax returned when DFC.EXE is called without parameters
• /Version command added to DFC
• /Lock and /Unlock commands added to DFC; disables or enables keyboard/mouse on machine
• The Boot Control window provides the ability to Reboot Now
• System tray icon no longer flashes when machine is Thawed
• Allow User to Change Clock can be selected even if a Maintenance Schedule is set
• Windows Server 2003 64 bit support
• Localization to English, French, German, Spanish, and Japanese languages
• Deep Freeze Enterprise Console compatibility with Deep Freeze Server Enterprise
• Improved Enterprise Console performance and scalability
• Improved ThawSpace resiliency